Artemis

As I sat on the stairs with my phone in my hand, a fluffy Siamese cat crossed my path and looked my way. What happened next I'm still not so sure I believe, but she opened her mouth and she talked to me.
"You've been there a long time," she said in a purr. "Humans always sit and stare into nothing when they're waiting for something. What is it you're waiting for?"
With my mouth agape I rubbed my eyes and opened them again to be sure it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me. When I looked at her she had an impatient expression on her furry face, and her grey eyes were narrowed in annoyance.
"Excuse me Mrs. Cat, forgive my surprise. I've never heard a cat talk before, you see."
"Well consider yourself lucky. It's not everyday I talk to humans." She said with a flick of her tail.
I paused to compose myself and to choose my next words carefully so I might not offend her again. After all, despite my amazement, I was very much hoping to continue our conversation.
"Well, you see... Is Mrs. Cat alright? Or do you have another name I should call you, if you prefer?"
Her eyes flashed in the light of the setting sun and I could have sworn I saw a small smile appear on her lovely feline features.
"You can call me Artemis, but tell no one. To all other humans I am what they choose to call me. Though I do wish they'd be more creative with their names. I'm bored sick of being called 'fluffy'. Such an undignified name."
I tried not to giggle at Artemis's chagrin, so I pretended to sneeze to hide my smile.
"Thank you for telling me your name, Artemis. I promise I will share it with no one else."

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I want this to end in adventure. Any ideas?

Comments

Popular Posts