Contrast
Today I realized how different people with different backgrounds interact with different situations. Namely Mexican vs. Canadian people inside of Canada.
Mexicans are laid back, they learn the rules and play by them just enough to get by unnoticed, while living a more relaxed lifestyle that is warm and happy. There may be bumps on the road, but it doesn't deter them from reaching a goal.
Canadians have been trained to be precocious, nervous and constantly on alert. They're not unhappy people, but they live day to week. Meaning that they live in a state of foresight where they are constantly on alert for something that could possibly go awry.
There are pros and cons to each lifestyle, of course.
Maybe my division is too simple. But the Mexican immigrants I've met always seem to be more street smart and resourceful. They're laid back because they are confident in finding alternative routes if the first reaches a dead end. The bad side being that they don't necessarily manage to find a place in the core of things. They often toe the outskirts of the Caucasian prosperous. But then, is that really so bad?
I suppose the real con is that without a set goal, there is no stability. Some are fine with this life while others are not.
The cons of the Canadian lifestyle are the closed-off culture in some circles. People are wary of strangers and even of acquaintances. There's less of a bond among people of the same country. But then, due to the cultural practices, people are viewed equally under the law, and there is less of a social division. There are opportunities for people to climb the social ladder, regardless of race or gender. Though these opportunities may not be offered in equal measure to all. I don't know for sure, but politically speaking I wouldn't be surprised if there were an underlying racism-stemmed disparity in professional opportunities.
But I'm getting ahead of myself making assumptions without the necessary information at my disposal. What I can say is that the Canadian way is more organized, stable, cleaner, alert and first world.
It is also colder, requires constant vigilance, a strong sense of ambition and tiring amounts of dedication to upholding an ideal lifestyle.
The Mexican way is more come-what-may, street smart, flexible and resourceful. It requires less anxiety and foresight, and more willingness to deal with sudden and often difficult circumstances.
The scary part is that I find myself toeing the border between the two. I want to be part of the stable Canadian lifestyle while maintaining the openness and warmth of the Mexican way. And the steps I need to take to do so don't just depend on my willingness to work toward my goals, but also on the economic circumstances around me. I need to be streetsmart and have foresight to achieve the lifestyle I desire.
And I guess this is what they mean when they say "Welcome to adulthood".


Comments
Post a Comment