Chu~


I am a little mouse who lives in a cage on a beige carpeted floor. I have a boy human who tends to me and gives me everything I need to live a good life, but I am lonely. When the boy isn't here to let me out of the cage I simply gnaw on seeds or sleep curled in a ball in the corner of my cage. Sometimes I'd get restless and endlessly attempt to scale the invisible walls of my prison. Although it was a safe life and I was never hungry or thirsty, I couldn't help being sad. The boy is very nice to me and treats me with gentleness and respect. I do love my human. He even calls me his "best friend". Despite our friendship, I was still lonely. I vaguely remember being taken from my brothers and sisters a long time ago. I remember playing together with them. These memories made me melancholy and I curled up in a ball in the corner of my cage squeaking forlornly.

A day came when my human came into the room with his mother holding a hanker chief in one hand. She kneeled before her son and explained that his play mate, a little girl his age, had gone to heaven. The mother sobbed and my human tried to console her not understanding why she was so upset.

"She had a pet mouse just like yours" the mother managed to choke out, "And her mommy asked us to keep it for her. Can you do that honey?"

I watched as the boy nodded his head slowly still confused as to why his mother was so upset.

"Mommy, is heaven a scary place?"
"No honey, not at all. Heaven is a beautiful place where good people go after they've lived their lives here on Earth."
"But why are you sad mommy? If heaven is so nice then you should be happy."
The mother smiled while tears spilled from her eyes, but she nodded. "You're right honey. I won't cry anymore."

Later that day the my human brought in a cage similar to my own and out of it he scooped up a beautiful white and auburn mouse with a pink bow tied around its neck. The boy then scooped me up and put us together on the floor to see us interact. I was overjoyed! At last I had a friend! The mouse before me was a girl, and she was delicate and sweet. Although she seemed sad.When she started talking all she could tell me about were memories of her human girl who had simply stopped coming and taking her out of her cage. She felt dejected and told me that she felt she had done something wrong. Maybe she had squeaked too loud and annoyed her human girl. Maybe her human hater her.

I stopped her and reiterated the conversation between my human and his mother about this mysterious and beautiful place called Heaven. When I told her this she became excited saying how she wanted to go to heaven too, but then I remembered that the mother had said Heaven was only attainable after your time was done on Earth. I told my friend this and she asked me how she knew how long that would be. I replied with a shake of my head. I speculated that it might be something you only find out after you've left Earth since her human girl had simply disappeared.

"Then what shall I do until I can go to Heaven?" She squeaked confusedly.
"Stay here with me and my human boy! We are friends to you now! And now we can keep each other company and maybe one day we shall have a family!"
The little mouse looked at me with shining black eyes and smiled in her mousy way. "It is good to have friends. When we go to heaven, I want you to come with me so you can meet my human. You'll like her, and I'm sure she'll like you very much."

And so I was no longer lonely and my human cared for us until the end of our days. We eventually had a family and we lived long enough to see them grow to full size. Here we are together in old mouse age and we're happier than ever waiting for heaven to call us from Earth to that beautiful place where my love's mistress awaits our arrival.

Comments

Popular Posts